Mental Health and Addictions
In 2020-21, our Saskatchewan Party government is made the largest historical investment of $435 million for mental health and addictions services an increase of 97% since 2007. We have invested a total of over $3.4 billion into mental health and addictions since 2007, including the construction of the Saskatchewan Hospital North Battleford.
New initiatives and supports for mental health in Saskatchewan this year include:
- $3 million to fund residential support beds for individuals with complex mental health needs transitioning from the hospital back into the community;
- Over $1.3 million to develop supports for children and youth with intense mental health needs;
- $1.25 million to support suicide prevention services.
We are proud to support continued funding for programs and initiatives specifically directed for mental health supports in Northern communities including :
- $1.2 million to support Mental Health Capacity Building in Schools;
- Over $1 million to hire twelve Child and Youth positions which include: Stanley Mission, Pinehouse and Sandy Bay and northern visiting services out of North Battleford and Prince Albert;
- $750,000 for the Roots of Hope community suicide prevention project in in Meadow Lake, La Range and Buffalo Narrows; and
- $685,000 to hire seven Primary Care Counsellors to work in primary care centres including La Loche and lie a la Crosse.
The Saskatchewan Party government committed $5.8 million for new addictions supports in 2020-21 including:
- Over $1.7 million to create 28 new detox beds in Regina, Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, Prince Albert, North Battleford;
- $1.4 million for an innovative crystal meth treatment centre in Estevan;
- $130,000 will support hiring additional caseworks with AIDS Saskatoon. An additional $500,000 will be directed to other harm reduction efforts across the province;
- More than $800,000 to hire more addiction workers to better resource emergency departments in Regina, Saskatoon and Prince Albert; and
- More than $400,000 to establish a fourth Rapid Access to Addiction Medicine clinic in North Battleford.
We are proud of the investments we have made into mental health and addictions in our province in order to provide quality healthcare for Saskatchewan families.